84,254 Nationwide Workplace Discrimination Charges Filed with EEOC in 2017 and $398 Million Paid to Discrimination Victims
The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) recently released comprehensive enforcement and litigation statistics for fiscal year (FY) 2017. Pennsylvania ranked fourth among all states in the number of discrimination charges filed with a total of 4,516 charges filed. Further analysis shows that retaliation charges accounted for (1,428); followed by sex (1,293); race (1,195); and age (1,118).
The FY 2017 national data revealed that retaliation was the charge filed most frequently with the federal agency, followed by race and disability. There were 6,696 sexual harassment charges filed nationally with $46.3 million in monetary benefits paid to victims of sexual harassment
Following is a breakdown of the national charges filed by bases alleged:
- Retaliation: 41,097 (48.8 percent of all charges filed)
- Race: 28,528 (33.9 percent)
- Disability: 26,838 (31.9 percent)
- Sex: 25,605 (30.4 percent)
- Age: 18,376 (21.8 percent)
- National Origin: 8,299 (9.8 percent)
- Religion: 3,436 (4.1 percent)
- Color: 3,240 (3.8 percent)
- Equal Pay Act: 996 (1.2 percent)
- Genetic Information: 206 (.2 percent)
**The numbers above add up to more than 100% as a result of some charges having alleged multiple bases.
Do you have comprehensive anti-harassment policies and procedures in place?
Harassment/Sensitivity/Civility training is highly recommended as a form of preventative training to inform all managers, supervisors and employees that such acts are not acceptable in the workplace. Preventative training should be:
- Championed by senior leaders
- Repeated and reinforced regularly (annually)
- Provided to employees at each level and location in the organization
- Tailored to the specific workplace and workforce
- Conducted in-person by qualified, interactive trainers
- Routinely evaluated by participants and revised as necessary
As the #MeToo movement grows, is your company in need of an employee handbook review or sensitivity training? The experienced attorneys in our Employment and Labor Practice can help you and your company with a comprehensive review of the training, policies, and mechanisms to guard against all forms of discrimination in the workplace.