The coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak represents one of the most significant global public health crises of the century. The disruption the virus has unleashed is affecting all aspects of our business and personal lives and is generating, sometimes unprecedented, legal issues that require both immediate and thorough assessment.
As we closely monitor developments around the world and in the United States, our team is anticipating the implications to you and your business. With experienced lawyers in all of our practice areas, we are positioned to provide the insights and answers you need to navigate the challenge of COVID-19.
We are compiling and updating perspectives on the legal issues surrounding COVID-19 and providing links to additional resources that may be helpful to you as developments unfold.
As Butler, Washington, and Allegheny counties have moved to the Green Phase, our offices are open for meetings by appointment, however, we are still encouraging telephone or video conference meetings whenever possible. For the safety of our clients and our team, we are not accepting walk-in appointments at this time. Please call (724) 776-8000 or contact your attorney directly to arrange a meeting.
INFORMATION ABOUT PENNSYLVANIA COURT OPERATIONS:
For information about statewide court operations and proceedings in response to COVID-19, please see the official list of all orders on the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania website.
For information about court operations in Southwestern Pennsylvania see Courts in Southwestern Pennsylvania, and Beyond, Institute Emergency Orders and Procedures in Response to COVID-19
INSIGHTS FROM OUR TEAM:
LABOR & EMPLOYMENT
- 3 Critical Steps to Reopening Your Business Safely
- Employees Can’t Choose Unemployment Compensation Over Suitable Work
- Processing Wage Garnishments During COVID-19
- What Pennsylvania’s Mask Order Means For You And Your Business
- OSHA Releases Plan For Investigating COVID-19 Claims In The Workplace
- Part 2: Families First Coronavirus Response Act
- DOL Mandatory Poster for Employers With Fewer Than 500 Employees
- What Employers Need to Know About Temperature Tests
- Employer Guidance: Emergency “Families First Coronavirus Response Act”
- COVID-19 Issues and Business Interruption for Employers
- Governmental Agencies and Coronavirus – What We Know and What We Don’t Know
- The Pittsburgh Paid Sick Days Act – Just in Time for Coronavirus
- City of Pittsburgh Paid Sick Days Act Takes Effect March 15, 2020
BUSINESS & FINANCE
- Violating COVID-19 Orders May Lead to Criminal and Licensing Sanctions for Businesses: Part 2
- PA Businesses Violating COVID-19 Orders May Face Sanctions
- Governor Wolf’s Three-Phase Plan To Reopen Pennsylvania
- IRS Weighs-in on PPP Loans
- PPP and EIDL Replenished
- CARES Act: The Paycheck Protection Program (Updated 4/8)
- Businesses are Urged to Apply for SBA “Economic Injury Disaster Loans” Now
TRANSPORTATION & SUPPLY CHAIN
CONTRACTS, REAL ESTATE, CONSTRUCTION
- Construction to Resume in Pittsburgh and Western Pennsylvania on May 1, 2020
- Force Majeure National Emergencies Require Decisive Reaction
- Information for Landlords and Tenants Regarding Coronavirus (Updated 5/7)
- Contractors and Coronavirus: Refunds of Down Payments
ESTATE PLANNING/ADMINISTRATION & FAMILY LAW
- Grantor Retained Annuity Trust – June Never Looked So Good
- Pennsylvania Temporarily Allows Remote Notary Services
- Executing Estate Planning Documents During the COVID-19 Outbreak
- The CARES Act Waives 2020 Required Minimum Distributions
- Not All Tax Deadlines are Extended – Which Tax Deadlines Affect You?
- Department of Revenue, Inheritance Tax Division: Procedures in Response to COVID-19
- Family Law Amid Coronavirus – Resolving Conflict When Courts Are Closed
- Read the Terms of Service on Social Media Sites
- How the Fair Use Doctrine Applies to Education During COVID-19 Crisis
- USPTO Extends Filing Deadlines (Updated 4/29)
PA BUSINESS & COURT CLOSURES
- Allegheny County Judicial Emergency Extended Until June
- Pennsylvania Courts Begin The Process Of Reopening
- Health of A State: Police Power and the Stay-at-Home Order
- Courts in Southwestern Pennsylvania, and Beyond, Institute Emergency Orders and Procedures in Response to COVID-19
- Update: Governor Wolf Delays Enforcement of PA Business Closure Order
- Governor Wolf Enforces Closure of Non-Life-Sustaining Businesses
- What Is Considered an Essential Business Under COVID-19?