Shortly after beginning his legal career, Roger served as an Assistant District Attorney in Washington County. He served as legal counsel in Stevenson v. Commonwealth of Pa., a class action which successfully challenged in the Supreme Court certain practices of the Pennsylvania Lottery Commission. Roger’s interest in litigation developed during this time and he remains active in civil litigation and in business related matters.
Roger has litigated numerous cases in diverse oil, gas and mineral law issues in both state and federal courts in Western Pennsylvania, representing both plaintiffs and defendants in complex litigation. These issues have involved injunctions, quiet title actions, declaratory judgments, as well as regulatory and zoning matters before various state and local municipalities, and the construction of mining facilities, gas compressor stations and pipeline facilities.
Roger has defended clients in state and federal courts in civil rights actions filed against boroughs, counties and other municipal corporations. He has also served as legal counsel in the prosecution of class action lawsuits and has been employed to defend similar actions in state and federal courts.
A member of the Washington County, Allegheny County and Pennsylvania Bar Associations, Roger served in 1989 as President of the Washington County Bar Association and was President of the Academy of Trial Lawyers of Washington County in 1995. He was elected a fellow in the American College of Trial Lawyers. He is also a member of the Pennsylvania Association for Justice and the Pennsylvania Defense Institute. He has been selected by his peers as one of Pennsylvania “Super Lawyers” in the field of Civil Litigation.
He is admitted to practice before the United States Supreme Court, the Third Circuit Court of Appeals, and the Federal District for the Western District of Pennsylvania. He is also admitted to practice before the Pennsylvania Supreme Court and all Pennsylvania Appellate Courts and all county courts in Western Pennsylvania.
- Lawsuits. The Best Offense…and a Good Defense
- Lawyers and Doctors Agree: it’s OK to Say I’M Sorry
- Automobile Insurance “Do’s” and “Don’t” under Pennsylvania Law
- Articles Published in the Dickinson Law Review:
- The Dickinson Law Review
- Volume 71: Inheritance Taxation of Foreign Property
- Volume 72: Scope of General Releases and Joinder of Additional Defendants Under Pennsylvania Law
- “E-Discovery and Rules of Evidence”: Washington County Bar Association Bench Bar Seminar
- “Wrongful Death, Survival Actions and Inheritance Tax Seminar”: Academy of Trial Lawyers of Southwestern Pennsylvania, Seminar with Judges from Washington, Allegheny, Greene and Westmoreland Counties.
- Court Reporting: “Making the Record” – Washington County Bar Association Seminar